Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reentry: One Week

(written 15 May 2013)

I've been back in country for one week.

My first impressions of America:
 - Stairs are common, and my knees still creak.
 - The post office staff is remarkably efficient, they don't debate shipping costs, and they possess supernatural powers that allow them to transport a package from Florida to Alaska in a mere 4 days.
 - More water is run down the sink for no reason than is needed for an entire day's use in the village.
 - Paper towels are extremely wasteful but so handy that they're used ubiquitously.
 - Houses are enormous, with vast amounts of wasted space.
 - Mid-size cars have grown and are practically the size of an SUV.  Everyone drives the same non-grey, nondescript color.
 - Food is unbelievably good.  The variety is staggering.  Yet many people eat mostly non-food or highly-processed food, both expensive and poor in nutrients, which is confounding given the availability of delicious nutritious options.
 - Eating out appears to be the status quo.
 - Air conditioning makes every place too cold.
 - Many people spend the amount of money that would put a child in my village through grade 8 or 9 for an entire term (and the absence of said amount prevents many from enrolling) on a meal or an outfit without batting an eye.  I have done so numerous times already, though I cringed a little inside.
 - iPhones have taken over the nation.  They do appear to be pretty handy.
 - Cars can now turn on without the driver removing the key from his/her pocket.
 - Sidewalks are every bit as wonderful as I recall.
 - The current dress styles are not particularly flattering on my body.

and perhaps most importantly,
 - Family stay family despite years of absence.

Reflections on myself:
 - I have a strong sense, influenced by Zambia, of what kind of family lifestyle I do and don't want my (future) kids to have.
- Writing letters to people I care about is still a priority.
 - Not having my own phone (and hence not knowing for certain the date, time, or anybody's latest plans) is pretty nice, and I may stretch that out as long as possible.
 - I almost miss nshima.
 - My body still hasn't quite figured out a rational sleeping/waking schedule.
 - I'm getting back into some "American" habits far too quickly, even if I resisted them the first couple of days.
 - Constructing sentences in Mambwe is already a challenge.  Caipa sana.
 - I'm scared.  Of forgetting.  Of losing my language, my connections, my values.  Of Zambia drifting away and becoming a hazy phase in my life's timeline.
 - I hope that, despite our distance and potentially years (ahead) of absence, my Zambian family will also stay family.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment